Thursday, September 15, 2016

Ownership in Radio

Ben Browning iparticipate 4

I listen to the radio quite often because I am a delivery driver.  So you could say that this iparticipate caught mu attention.  My favorite radio stations are 101.1, 100.7, 104.5, and a couple of others.  I found it fascinating that Direct T.V. owns all these radio stations.  Not only does Direct T.V. own those radio stations but they own almost all the radio stations in Bowling Green and probably a lot more throughout the country.

I have noticed that there are a lot of country radio stations in Bowling Green, which doesn't surprise me because country is most likely the most popular type of music in this area.  I have also noticed that there are no rap stations or "urban" stations, as my list calls it, in this area.  That's probably because not that many people listen to that type of music in this area.  Which is good for that one rap station because everybody who wants to listen to rap will tune into that station.

These radio stations do not show much diversity.  There are about 10 country stations before there is one rap station.  That is not diversity.  They do have a rap station and a rock station but not too many.  This is diversity but not the best that it can be.  Now this necessarily is not a bad thing.  If you're a radio company then obviously your going to want to play country because that is what most people listen to in the area.  So you can blame the radio stations for lack of diversity.  You can blame the citizens in the area.

I believe that there are some new developments to radio that can help improve radio, such as siri radio.  this radio gives better quality and gives you a more wide range amount of radio stations.  Siri radio can give you 20 rap stations and 20 country stations.  I know a lot of people who use this and love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment