Friday, September 30, 2016

Magazines and advertising iparticipate6

Ben Browning

Everyone knows that you cant read a magazine without seeing some ads.  The difference is what magazine you read.  It's pretty obvious that there are different ads with certain magazines.  For example; you read People magazine you see ads for beauty merchandise like make up, skin clear, and others.  You read Sports Illustrated there are ads for sport equipment, Dicks sporting goods, and even ads for gym memberships.

It's kinda amazing how related the ads are to the story you read in those magazines.  I read a story in People magazine about how Angelina Jolie is breaking out, and the next page there was an ad for proactive skin care.  These companies place their ads perfectly so they can get the consumer thinking more and really focus on buying their product.  The consumer does this without even realizing it most of the time.  It's all in the consumers subconscious.

I don't believe there is much of a firewall.  Most of the time these ads are so closely related to the story by the editor the I think it gets the consumer thinking even more about the story they just read.  With that being said there are some moments where the ad doesn't really have much to do with the story which could throw the reader for a loop.  In that case if I was the editor I wouldn't be too pleased with the ad.  With that being said I believe the editor shouldn't have a problem with the ad as long as it has to do somewhat with the story they wrote.

Yes I believe there can be a balance between ads and the stories the editor publishes.  Like I said as long as the ad has to do with the story I don't see why it would be a problem.  If the ad doesn't have to do with the story then don't run the ad.  If they stick with that then I believe it will be a perfect balance between the two.       

No comments:

Post a Comment